IMB research is managed through The University of Queensland’s commercialisation company, UniQuest.
UniQuest is one of Australia’s leading research commercialisation companies, specialising in global technology transfer and facilitating access for all business sectors to world-class university expertise, intellectual property and facilities.
UniQuest works closely with IMB’s research teams to pursue commercial opportunities in the areas of human therapeutics, including new treatments for inflammation, pain, metabolic disorders, infection and cancer; in agriculture, including insecticides, pesticides and agents for the control of cane toads; and in biotechnology, including microalgae based biofuels and hydrogen production.
Since its establishment in 2000, IMB research has been spun out into 12 biotech start-up companies, which have sourced investments of more than $100M, and contracted $25M in research funding into the IMB laboratories.
Recently, UniQuest helped secure the following agreements for IMB research:
- a collaboration with international pharmaceutical company Janssen to discover new pain therapies
- a research and development contract with US biotechnology company Viral Genetics to collaborate on an innovative biofuel production system
- an expansion of our metabolic disease research collaboration with Pfizer
- other significant research and development agreements were secured with Adenium, KBR, TPI and SYNthesis
- ARC linkage agreements were signed with Bioproton, Australian Red Cross, and BioAustralis
- additionally, the IMB start-up company Protagonist Therapeutics Inc. was successful in negotiating a new collaboration agreement with Danish biotechnology company Zealand Pharma, and an expansion of an existing agreement with Ironwood Pharmaceuticals in the US.
The intellectual property portfolio of IMB was further strengthened with the filing of new provisional patent applications and the granting of three key patents in 2012.
Dr Mark Ashton
Uniquest’s Manager of Innovation and Commercial Development for IMB
Phone: +61 7 3346 2186
|2012 Industry Affiliates Forum||IMB's team at this year's UniQuest Research Commercialisation Workshop was awarded the 'best pitch' prize|