Equity and Diversity at IMB
IMB is dedicated to promoting equity and diversity across all sectors and levels of the institute.
The IMB Equity and Diversity Committee is responsible for promoting and enacting this ethos.
Our mission is to promote equitable access to resources and support for all IMB students and staff regardless of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, race, religion, disability and other protected attributes. We aim to foster a culture of diversity, inclusion and fairness, which in turn will create a positive workplace experience for all.
Here at IMB, we recognise that women in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine (STEMM) fields face particular challenges to progress to senior levels. Our aim is to identify and remove barriers to career progression for women and other disadvantaged groups, thus supporting career progression for all staff.
We will strive to increase the proportion of women in senior leadership positions both through mentoring of current staff through the promotion process, while also ensuring gender equitable approaches to recruitment.
Science and innovation at IMB are strengthened through having a diverse and multi-faceted workforce and through our global connections. We welcome and value the inclusion of staff and students from many parts of the world and from all walks of society.
We currently have a number of initiatives in place to promote equity and diversity at IMB. These initiatives include:
Creating a family friendly environment
- Providing a dedicated parents’ room in the Queensland Biosciences Precinct for infant feeding and care (located behind reception on the 2nd floor). Please see staff at reception for access.
- Providing access to on-site parking for staff and students in the third trimester of pregnancy. Please contact IMB HR to organise.
- Encouraging staff and students to schedule work-related meetings and seminars within family-friendly hours (9am-4pm) to promote participation by those with caring responsibilities.
Achieving gender balance
- Encouraging gender balance in programs for seminars, workshops, conferences and other events hosted by or associated with IMB.
- Encouraging IMB staff to enquire about the gender equity policy of conferences that they are invited to speak at.
- Ensuring appropriate gender representation on recruitment panels.
Promoting and supporting a diverse staff and student community
- Supporting international staff and students through the visa application process.
- Active postgraduate student society (SIMBA) and early career researchers (ECR) committee
Providing equal and fair access to knowledge, training and career progression
- Providing travel funds to eligible students and staff. Please see eligibility criteria and application process via WebDB.
- Providing mentorship and guidance in the timing and preparation of promotion and fellowship applications
For further information, please see UQ’s policies and initiatives around equity and diversity.
For advice related to equity and diversity at IMB, or to provide feedback, please contact the IMB Equity and Diversity Committee.