- Student opportunities
Our research scientists in training make an important contribution to our work and achievements.
IMB’s postgraduate program is designed to give students a strong start to their careers by surrounding them with the best researchers, facilities, and support services.
As active members of our laboratory teams, students are encouraged to expand their skillsets, seek answers to the hard questions, explore their scientific potential, and make the most of student life at UQ.
We have opportunities for undergraduate, honours and postgraduate students. These include:
- Undergraduate research experience - Motivated second and third-year undergraduate students are invited to apply for the opportunity to gain valuable research experience in our laboratory teams for 10 weeks during semester.
- Masters by coursework research experience - Masters (or MPhil) students undertaking studies in molecular bioscience, including molecular biology, biotechnology and bioinformatics, can apply to undertake an optional research module within an IMB laboratory.
- Summer research scholarship program - UQ's summer research scholarship program provides students with the opportunity to apply to undertake a formal lab placement between 6-10 weeks commencing in mid-Novemeber under the guidance of an experienced researcher.
- Winter research scholarship program - UQ's winter research scholarship program provides students with the opportunity to apply to undertake a formal lab placement between 4-6 weeks commencing in mid-June under the guidance of an experienced researcher.
- Honours program - An honours year provides students with the opportunity to pursue an independent research project in an area of interest under the supervision of an IMB researcher. A range of projects are available to prospective IMB honours students, all of which will give you a head start to qualifying for undertake further research higher degree programs at both MPhil and PhD levels.
- Research higher degree program - UQ's research higher degree program has been designed to provide students with the highest quality training in research and to ensure students graduate with the expert knowledge and the career skills necessary to tackle our greatest scientific challenges. A PhD at IMB is between 3-4 years and an MPhil is between 1-2 years.
- Scholarship opportunity - IMB postgraduate award - Enrolled or intending-to-enrol full-time MPhil or PhD students can apply for this 3-year funded scholarship.
- Scholarship opportunity - IMB honours scholarship - Students enrolled to undertake an honours project full-time at IMB in 2014 are elligible to apply for this 1-year funded scholrs
We hope that all of our students, no matter at which level they are studying, will embrace the experiences, challenges and opportunities the IMB has to offer.
IMB Postgraduate Office
Institute for Molecular Bioscience
The University of Queensland
St Lucia Qld Australia 4072
Telephone: + 61 7 3346 2133