Summer Research Scholarship Program
What is involved?
UQ’s Summer Research Scholarship Program provides students with the opportunity to work with a researcher in a formal environment in order to experience the research process and discover what research is being undertaken in their field of interest.
The period of eligibility for scholarship payments is between 6 and 10 weeks, generally commencing in mid-November and concluding in mid-February. The research period is normally broken into two parts to allow for the University’s closure during the Christmas break. The research scholar and their supervisor will negotiate the duration of the project and the workload requirements. The program provides:
- an opportunity to develop new skills and enhance employability
- access to research networks and connections with staff and postgraduate students
- supervision by outstanding researchers
- access to world-class facilities and research opportunities
- the possibility of obtaining credit towards your degree (subject to the degree rules and structure of your program)
- a scholarship for qualifying students to receive an allowance equivalent to AUD$300 per week, paid jointly by UQ’s Office of Undergraduate Education and IMB
- non UQ-enrolled students (international and domestic) who are not based in Brisbane or not within 100km of the research site can apply for a one-off payment of AUD$1000 to subsidise travel and accommodation expenses.
Who is eligible?
- undergraduate or postgraduate coursework students who are currently enrolled in an Australian or international university
- have completed at least one year of study
- study for a degree relevant to the research discipline to which they have applied at IMB
- have a high level of academic achievement during their undergraduate degree
- have the potential to and an interest in undertaking postgraduate study
- are able to demonstrate a high level of English language proficiency.
More information about UQ for international students, including the study environment, links to estimated living costs, refund policies, support services, information for students with families, and your legal rights as an international student can be found at www.uq.edu.au/international-students.
How do I apply?
1) Choose the project from the list of projects available on the IMB website www.imb.uq.edu.au/study.
2) Liaise with IMB Postgraduate office to obtain more information about project availability and suitability.
3) Gain tentative IMB supervisor approval.
4) Submit the completed application form and supporting documents to IMB Postgraduate office.
Please direct all inquiries to the Postgraduate Administrative Officer:
Ms Cody Mudgway
Telephone: +61 7 3346 2133
Applications open: 1 July 2013 and 2014
Applications close: 30 August 2013 and 2014
|Summer Research Scholarship Program section|